[IPython-user] Paramiko (ssh)

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Fri Feb 6 02:07:48 CST 2009

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 10:12 AM, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio@gmail.com> wrote:
> Caught this from planet python:
>
> http://jessenoller.com/2009/02/05/ssh-programming-with-paramiko-completely-different/
>
> This would make perfect sense to wrap up in ipython. Probably by
> providing syntaxes:
>
> out = !s remote_command
> !s remote_command
> scd /my/dir
> sls (short for !s ls)
>
> And possibly throwing in a remote filename completer and file transfer
> for good measure. Anyone have more ideas?

That looks like it could be especially useful on Windows.  On linux,
the ssh/scp clients are always there and bash does remote filename
completions for hosts in your ~/.ssh/config file for which you have
keys enabled.  But I'd imagine having that kind of support out of the
box for windows would be great, where I recall having to hunt for
decent SSH support.

And even on unix, the ability to use the scripting power of ipython
through a remote host, and especially to link local activity with
remote files, could be great.