[IPython-user] IPython 0.9.1 on Python 2.6 on WinXP - run_installscript: Internal error 0xFFFFFFFF

Paul Moore p.f.moore@gmail....
Wed Feb 18 04:15:07 CST 2009

I just installed IPython 0.9.1 on Python 2.6 on my WinXP machine. I
used the bdist_wininst installer from the download site. When I ran
the installer, I got the error "run_installscript: Internal error
0xFFFFFFFF" at the end, and it looks like the start menu shortcuts
haven't been set up.

I did have IPython installed in a previous Python installation on this
machine, but I removed it. Looks like I've still got a
%HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%_ipython directory, though. Could this be related
to the error?

Paul.

PS Is there any way of configuring IPython to put its _ipython config
directory somewhere else? (Without setting environment variables like
HOME, which have a "global" effect). My home drive is set by the
system admins to a network drive, but I'd prefere my IPython config to
be local...