[IPython-user] ipython -gthread behaviour is now to quit the script gtk.main() loop?

Gustavo Carneiro gjcarneiro@gmail....
Tue Feb 24 08:50:41 CST 2009

Hello, I have been having a problem since upgrading IPython.  I don't
remember exactly which version I had before, but now it's 0.8.4.

Consider the following script:

import gtk

win = gtk.Window()
win.show()
bt = gtk.Button("Hello")
bt.show()
win.add(bt)

print "begin"
gtk.main()
print "end"

In IPython 0.8.4, the gtk.main() call will immediately return and IPython
re-runs a new gtk.main(), possibly in a different thread.  In a previous
version (sorry, don't remember which) my own gtk.main() call would not exit,
it would just run the GUI.  I was sure that, when gtk.main() returned it was
because the window had been closed.

Now I am unsure how to make it work again.  I have module function that is
supposed to "run the GUI and don't return until everything is finished".
Any advice on how to accomplish this without breaking the simple module API
that I provide?  Is there something like,
IPython.wait_until_gui_is_finished() ?

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
INESC Porto, Telecommunications and Multimedia Unit