[IPython-user] ipython -gthread behaviour is now to quit the script gtk.main() loop?

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Thu Feb 26 01:16:04 CST 2009

Hi Gustavo,

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 6:50 AM, Gustavo Carneiro <gjcarneiro@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, I have been having a problem since upgrading IPython.  I don't
> remember exactly which version I had before, but now it's 0.8.4.
>
> Consider the following script:
>
> import gtk
>
> win = gtk.Window()
> win.show()
> bt = gtk.Button("Hello")
> bt.show()
> win.add(bt)
>
> print "begin"
> gtk.main()
> print "end"
>

> In IPython 0.8.4, the gtk.main() call will immediately return and IPython
> re-runs a new gtk.main(), possibly in a different thread.  In a previous
> version (sorry, don't remember which) my own gtk.main() call would not exit,
> it would just run the GUI.  I was sure that, when gtk.main() returned it was
> because the window had been closed.
>
> Now I am unsure how to make it work again.  I have module function that is
> supposed to "run the GUI and don't return until everything is finished".
> Any advice on how to accomplish this without breaking the simple module API
> that I provide?  Is there something like,
> IPython.wait_until_gui_is_finished() ?

Could you try running the attached script the way you used 'ipython
-gthread' before?  This would help us understand the problem better,
if this works the way you expect it.