[IPython-user] problem with emacs-server (V23)

Rohan Nicholls rohan.nicholls@googlemail....
Thu Feb 26 07:00:55 CST 2009

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 1:23 PM, Gour <gour@mail.inet.hr> wrote:
> Hi Rohan,
>
> Rohan> Hi Gour, I unfortunately have no experience with your problem, as
> Rohan> I run everything inside emacs, including ipython and any
> Rohan> webserver I might be using.
>
> Well, frankly speaking, I haven't been thinking to run webserver inside
> Emacs.

Oh, sorry I was thinking for development, not actually running the
server for production.  Okay, so you want it running, and then be
able to break into the process, edit a file and have it updated in the
running process.

> Rohan> python-mode - the old one not the standard that comes with emacs
>
> I use - python-mode-5.1.0 fetched from LP
>
> Rohan> ipython.el - run ipython as your python shell
> Rohan> pymacs - allows for interoperability between python and elisp code
> Rohan> rope - refactoring (ide abilities) library for python
> Rohan> ropemacs - the emacs front-end for rope
>
> Heh, that the same setup I use (I even 'maintain ropemacs for Archlinux
> - http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=20976)

oops, seems I am preaching to the converted. :)

> Rohan>  - run my webserver while retaining the interactive prompt, I
> Rohan> have this almost working, with huge help from the ipython mailing
> Rohan> list.
>
> This sounds cool.

Yes, but it needs some fiddling with FakeModule.py, to not have import
errors come up at times.

> Well, the problem is that even when launching ipython from within emacs,
> 'edit' invokes a new session although I get warnings:
>
> Warning (server): Emacs server named "server" already running
>
> Using emacsclient file.txt from outside, e.g. from the terminal works
> fine and closing the buffer (C-x #) exits as it is supposed to.

I have not used edit.  I remember it being difficult, and it did not
matter enough to me that I was prepared to put the effort into
figuring out a solution.

> btw, do you use Emacs 22 or 23?
 23, snapshot package in my distro (xubuntu).