[IPython-user] Prefix/partial history scrolling

Max Bane max.bane@gmail....
Mon Jan 5 15:01:20 CST 2009

Heyo,

I just installed IPython 0.9.1 on an OSX machine, and was disappointed
to find that partial history scrolling no longer seems to happen.
Suppose I've run the following two commands immediately after starting
IPython:

In [1]: print 'hello'
hello

In [2]: 1 + 2 + 3
Out[2]: 6

In [3]:

At this point if I hit the up arrow, I end up with the previous line,
as expected:

In [3]: 1 + 2 + 3

But if I type a prefix of the first line and hit the up arrow, I
expect to get the first line, but instead I end up with the second
line, as if I had just hit the up arrow without any prefix:

In [3]: pri
<up>
In [3]: 1 + 2 + 3
<should be: In [3]: print 'hello'>

What am I missing? On my other machines I don't recall ever having to
set an option to enable prefix history scrolling. I searched this list
for all 7 non-empty subsets of the terms ['partial', 'prefix',
'history'] but found nothing.

Thanks
--
Max Bane