[IPython-user] Prefix/partial history scrolling

Max Bane max.bane@gmail....
Mon Jan 5 15:43:18 CST 2009

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 3:18 PM, Max Bane <max.bane@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 3:07 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com> wrote:
>> My guess is that your readline module is linked against the fake libreadline
>> library that Apple installed into /usr/lib/. It's actually Editline, not GNU
>> Readline, so it might have a slightly different feature set or need extra
>> configuration. I use the Python binaries from www.python.org and
>> www.enthought.com (disclosure: I work at Enthought), and I get the expected
>> partial prefix scrolling.
>
> OK, I think you're right. That must be why IPython prints "Leopard
> libedit detected." on startup... I was wondering about that.

BTW, for posterity, it's not just a matter of using the python.org or
Enthought binaries; you also have to do:

$ sudo easy_install readline

as described here: http://ipython.scipy.org/moin/InstallationOSXLeopard

Though I'm not totally sure why, as the python.org binaries, at least,
are advertised to "include both bsddb and readline"
(http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.5.4/).

--
Max Bane
max.bane@gmail.com