[IPython-user] Can you send a command to ipython without affecting the history?

Gerard Brunick gbrunick@math.utexas....
Thu Jul 16 16:36:23 CDT 2009

I was putting together an emacs wrapper for ipython, as I was having
some issues with ipython.el.  With respect to completion, I can
certainly send a command to ipython and get the list of candidates, but
this command gets saved in the history and the prompt count gets
updated.  Is there any way to avoid having the command and the output
added to the history and the prompt number incremented?   As best I can
tell , CachedOutput is connected into sys.displayhook, so it seems
difficult to work around this?

I should also note that ipython.el has a comment like
  ... #PYTHON-MODE SILENT
I was hoping this was a magic comment that made ipython ignore this
command with respect to history, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I'm using ipython 0.9.1 on Ubuntu Hardy. Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
Gerard