[IPython-user] Ipython autocompletion and enthought.mayavi

Angus McMorland amcmorl@gmail....
Mon Jul 20 13:43:58 CDT 2009

2009/5/28 Gael Varoquaux <gael.varoquaux@normalesup.org>:
> On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 02:24:46PM -0400, Angus McMorland wrote:
>> In [1]: surf.<tab>
>
>> works okay, and gives me the list of descendant objects of surf
>> (whatever they're really called), as does
>
>> In [1]: surf.actor.<tab>
>
>> but typing
>
>> In [1]: surf.actor.actor.<tab>
>
>> freezes the session. Any ideas what's going on? It would be great to
>> be able to peruse the objects this way, or at least fail nicely
>> without requiring a restart of my session. I haven't come across this
>> problem with autocompletion of any other objects.
>
> As far as I understand this problem (in other words, not much), the
> problem is that there are properties involved in the object hierarchy.
> Tab completing calls the getters. I suspect the getters are not being
> called in the UI event loop, and as a result, some race condition kicks
> in.
>
> Of course all of this is speculative, but AFAIK the problems don't happen
> if you run ipython in thread-less mode.
>
> I hope this information helps the core ipython team narrowing down the
> problem.
>
> Gaël

Was any light shed on this problem? It bites me pretty much every time
I set up a new visualization with mayavi, and is very frustrating. I'm
surprised more people don't suffer the same problem; what are they
doing differently?

Thanks,

Angus.
--