[IPython-user] Closing an embedded IPython Shell.

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Wed Jul 29 13:06:30 CDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 9:55 AM, Dennis
Muhlestein<djmuhlestein@gmail.com> wrote:
> Consider the following usage:
>
>  > from IPython.Shell import IPShellEmbed
>  > ipshell=IPShellEmbed()
>  > # at this point, launch an app in a thread
>  > ipshell()
>
> # later on, the app closes and I want to close the shell
> # from the app's thread
>  > ipshell.magic_Exit()
>
> The shell does indeed close, but not until I press Enter.  Is there a
> way to get the shell to stop listening on stdin and terminate immediately?

Do you have a small snippet you could rip out and send me so I can run
it locally without your whole tool?

I think I have an idea on how to do this, but I'd be vastly more
efficient if I can do some testing locally...