[IPython-user] IPython.ipapi.launch_new_instance tries to execute all files in sys.argv!

Matthew Wilson matt@tplus1....
Wed Jul 29 14:35:26 CDT 2009

On Thu 23 Jul 2009 12:53:30 PM EDT, Robert Kern wrote:

> launch_new_instance() and the functions it calls should take an argv argument
> that only defaults to sys.argv. Library functions should never inspect sys.argv
> without a way for the caller to override it.

I don't see a way to call IPython.ipapi.launch_new_instance and specify
that argv argument.

    def launch_new_instance(user_ns = None,shellclass = None):
        """ Make and start a new ipython instance.

        This can be called even without having an already initialized
        ipython session running.

        This is also used as the egg entry point for the 'ipython' script.

        """
        ses = make_session(user_ns,shellclass)
        ses.mainloop()

What's another way to start ipython and have it ignore the contents of sys.argv?

Matt