[IPython-user] Starting wx python apps

Gökhan SEVER gokhansever@gmail....
Fri Jun 26 15:44:08 CDT 2009

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 3:29 PM, Dennis Muhlestein
<djmuhlestein@gmail.com>wrote:

>  Interesting.
>>
>> On my Fedora, plot doesn't block the Ipython entry. They happily live by
>> eachother.
>>
>> One thing I modified in the Shell.py (inside IPython folder) is to make
>> sure that I am always starting with pylab:
>>
>>     #user_opts = set([s.replace('-','') for s in argv[:3]])
>>     user_opts = set(['pylab'])
>>
>> Could you try with this?
>>

> I didn't modify this file, but I'm pretty sure this would cause the Show
> function to not block since if I start ipython with -pylab, I can verify the
> non-blocking feature.
>
> My problem is that -pylab and -wthread don't work the same way.
>
> ipython -pylab pylab_script.py # __doesn't__ block
> ipython -wthread wx_script.py # __does__ block
>
> It would be nice if -wthread worked the same as -pylab
>
> -Dennis

I see your point now.

wthread switch blocks the execution somehow, however q4thread works well.

There should be some internal differences between the backends that is
causing this issue.

And a very interesting observation if I run the following lines with
q4thread

import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
import numpy as np

a = np.linspace(0,2*np.pi, 1000)
plt.plot(np.sin(a))
plt.show()

I see the contents listed on whos, but get a empty namespace if I try the
same thing with wthread.

One additional comment: The ipy.py script was explicitly calling the ipython
from within a regular python script. I might not need to this if my scripts
load into an Ipython workspace with just a ipython script.py notation