[IPython-user] IPython tab-completion behaviour in Linux

Gökhan SEVER gokhansever@gmail....
Mon Jun 29 00:43:17 CDT 2009

Hello,

I am wondering whether not getting attributes or models of some empty
objects in the right way is a pre-defined behaviour or not? For
example when I do "". and hit the tab instead of getting a list that
is associated with the string object I get a list of hidden files in
the current working directory. However in the []. case if I explicitly
write sort I can see that a list object has a sort method.

Is this an Ipython bug or could be fixed somehow?

See the examples below:

[gsever@ccn ~]$ ipython
 Logging to /home/gsever/.ipython/2009-06-29.py

Python 2.5.2 (r252:60911, Sep 30 2008, 15:41:38)

IPython 0.10.bzr.r1174 -- An enhanced Interactive Python.
?         -> Introduction and overview of IPython's features.
%quickref -> Quick reference.
help      -> Python's own help system.
object?   -> Details about 'object'. ?object also works, ?? prints more.

In [1]: "".
Display all 104 possibilities? (y or n)

In [1]: "".s
.sage             .serverauth.5593  .subversion
.scribus          .ssh

In [1]: [].
Display all 104 possibilities? (y or n)

In [1]: [].sort()

In [2]: [].sort?
Type:		list
Base Class:	<type 'list'>
String Form:	[]
Namespace:	Interactive
Length:		0
Docstring:
    list() -> new list
    list(sequence) -> new list initialized from sequence's items

Gökhan