[IPython-user] paste frustrations

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Wed Mar 4 14:53:46 CST 2009

On 2009-03-04 07:38, Fernando Perez wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 5:35 AM, Robin<robince@gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> I tried in both iTerm and Terminal.app - and just now in xterm and
>> they all exhibit the same.
>>
>> In any case, I don't think it is the terminal, since in all of them I
>> can paste fine into python running on a Linux machine through an SSH
>> session.
>
> Ah, OK.
>
>> It has to be something, but I've no idea what!
>
> Very frustrating...  It does seem to be a problem with the actual
> input line buffer and/or readline.  Sorry not to have any useful ideas
> or solutions...

Perhaps a solution would be to write a magic (with platform-specific backends)
that grabs the text for the clipboard and executes it without requiring user
intervention. It would be significantly more usable than %cpaste even if the
terminal or readline are working completely correctly.

The OS X backend is trivial; call out to pbpaste(1) using popen. xsel(1) appears
to be the thing for X. Windows would require either Mark Hammond's win32api or
ctypes.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."