[IPython-user] paste frustrations

Ludwig Schwardt ludwig.schwardt@gmail....
Wed Mar 4 17:08:04 CST 2009

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 6:04 PM, Robin <robince@gmail.com> wrote:

> Right, that was wrong, both cat << and echo " give corruption
>
> In fact even cat > test which I'm pretty sure doesn't use readline at
> all still has some problems (although much fewer and they seem more
> deterministic).
>
> Sorry that this is getting off topic for ipython now... but it is
> probably the same problem as :
> https://svn.enthought.com/epd/ticket/324
> so I guess it will continue to come up from time to time.

Yes, I can confirm that cat << EOF gives the same problem in Terminal.app in
both Tiger 10.4.11 and Leopard 10.5.6, and iTerm in Tiger. I cannot seem to
paste into xterm, so I could not check it. So it looks like Python is off
the hook (Python 2.3 now looks flaky too...).

The problem still only occurs when pasting many multiple lines. A string
without newlines pastes without a problem. I toggled Terminal -> Window
Settings -> Emulation -> Paste Newlines as Carriage Returns, with no effect
on the problem. I could not fix the problem via line endings either. The
next step might be to use ktrace (Tiger) or dtrace / dtruss (Leopard) on the
Terminal app to see where the characters go.

I guess we'll have to wait for Snow Leopard (although the problem managed to
persist from Tiger to Leopard...).

Regards,
Ludwig