[IPython-user] help(curses) fails - list index out of range

Chris Jones cjns1989@gmail....
Thu Mar 19 18:37:13 CDT 2009

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 08:56:08AM EDT, Fernando Perez wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 10:33 AM, Chris Jones <cjns1989@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 09:10:46PM EST, Chris Jones wrote:
> >
> >> I'm running ipython and I'm trying to access the interactive doc for
> >> the curses module.
> >>
> >> I type "help(curses)" from the prompt and I get about one page of
> >> "Traceback" followed by the "IndexError: list index out of range"
> >> message.
> >
> > Did a bit of digging and it seems I need to enter:
> >
> >  help(_curses)
> >
> > to get to a digest of the curses html doc.
> >
> > Not sure why help() fails with an exception rather than returning a
> > message such as "no help for curses".. but then I'm running what appears
> > to be an obsolete version of python on this system.
> >
> > Will look into this again after I upgrade.
>
> I don't see the problem here, FWIW.

Thanks for your reply.

The "native" python shell also gives me a "traceback" followed by the
"IndexError" message.

Suggests that whatever doc was built into "curses" does not comply and I
would imagine there's nothing ipython or the "native" python shell can
do about it.

CJ