[IPython-user] help(curses) fails - list index out of range

Chris Jones cjns1989@gmail....
Mon Mar 23 19:21:01 CDT 2009

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 12:14:23AM EDT, skip@pobox.com wrote:

> Sorry, coming to this late.  If there's something wrong with curses doc
> strings, shouldn't this problem manifest itself in POP (Plain Old Python)?
> I don't see any problems with help(curses) on my Mac using Python 2.5, 2.6
> or 2.7a0 (Subversion trunk).  If there's a demonstrated problem with the doc
> strings, I'll see about getting them fixed, but I can't reproduce the
> problem in my environment.

Nothing new my end.. but for some reason this message just materialized
on my local machine (?) What.. about 4 days later than the identical
quoted material in Fernando's message.

As to there being something possibly wrong with python's doc strings..
not likely, and not worth investigating..  I thought I'd learn to
program a bit and on the face of it and stuff I read, python looked like
it would be a breeze .. and it's true that the coding itself is neat..
but figuring out the "meta programming" side of python ..  "imports" ..
"modules" ..  "packages" .. not to mention "ipython".. are way above my
head at this point.

Since the only programming I taught myself so far is limited to trivial
bash and awk stuff.. I guess I'll focus on acquiring some fluency in C,
which looks considerably easier for a hobbyist/beginner like myself.

Sorry for the noise.

CJ