[IPython-user] help(curses) fails - list index out of range

Chris Jones cjns1989@gmail....
Tue Mar 24 19:03:33 CDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 02:36:33AM EDT, Ville M. Vainio wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 2:21 AM, Chris Jones <cjns1989@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Since the only programming I taught myself so far is limited to trivial
> > bash and awk stuff.. I guess I'll focus on acquiring some fluency in C,
> > which looks considerably easier for a hobbyist/beginner like myself.
>
> Off topic:
>
> C is very easy to learn, too bad it's very hard to get anything useful
> done with it unless you have lots of time to waste ;-).
>
> Also, if you have problems with the concept of modules et. al, you'd
> be better off reading up about them than trying to wrap your head
> around C/native programming complexity (makefiles/automake, shared
> libraries, packaging, ...). Python, OTOH, can be learned over a
> weekend.
>
> I get paid to write C code currently, but no way in hell would I do it
> on my free time.

Didn't mean this as a criticism of python or an attempt to extol the
virtues of C.

I needed to write some throwaway snippets of code that would help me
debug an annoying problem I was having with an curses app and since I
couldn't find a way to do it in bash .. I thought I'd try python because
it appeared to be beginner-friendly and the programming itself looked
like something I could get to work within a few hours just by searching
online tutorials and using a shell such as ipython to clarify the
behavior of python's constructs along the way.

This didn't work as I hoped and I think that the reason is that I was
confused by stuff in the area of the programming environment as opposed
to the programming itself.

Not that I was making an issue of it.

As to time spent, since this was throaway code, I didn't have to worry
about makefiles, packaging.. etc. I was able to write everything I
needed in C in just a few hours (would have been a lot less if I had
more than a very superficial knowledge of C .. most of my time was spent
googling and searching online tutorials for syntaxically correct samples
of C statements..).

No offense meant .. I only mentioned in passing the difficulties of
learning python from one particular beginner's standpoint.

CJ