[IPython-user] How do I make VI the line editor?

Coert Waagmeester lgroups@waagmeester.co...
Tue Mar 31 05:24:59 CDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-03-31 at 11:59 +0200, Andrea Riciputi wrote:
> Hi Coert,
> I recently switched from emacs to vim, and I was wondering how to make
> ipython working in vi mode too. I googled for this but didn't found
> any howto or information. So I quit searching. It would be nice if you
> could eventually post here your results. Just as a reference to the
> other interested users.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>   Andrea
>
> On 31 Mar, 2009, at 10:33, Ville M. Vainio wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 11:09 AM, Coert Waagmeester
> > <lgroups@waagmeester.co.za> wrote:
> >
> >> Or if you want to go back in command history you use the vi arrow
> >> keys,
> >> for instance Esc+k
> >>

> >> This is what I would like to do in iPython.
> >
> > IPython uses readline, so it can be done by configuring readline. Try
> > setting up a readline config file, or check ipy_defaults.py in source
> > distribution.
> >
> > --
> > Ville M. Vainio
> > http://tinyurl.com/vainio

Got it going!!

I run RHEL 5.2. I changed the following:

in /etc/inputrc:
$if mode=emacs changed it to $if mode=vi

and ~/.inputrc:
set editing-mode vi

it is working perfectly. I added an 'exec ipython' in my .profile so it
is now my shell.

Thanks for all your help!
Coert