[IPython-user] Trouble with escape key and history searching

Jörgen Stenarson jorgen.stenarson@bostream...
Mon May 4 12:18:54 CDT 2009

Adam skrev:
> Hi ipython group,
>   I've grown accustomed to using the 'escape' key to remove input at
> the bash command prompt without holding down backspace.  When I do
> this in ipython, though, it also kills the
> 'search-history-(forwards|backward)' capability of the command line
> and does funny things to command line editing (e.g., if I try to
> remove text using backspace, the deleted text reappears to the right
> of my cursor with extra spaces).  Is my use of the 'escape' key
> breaking the readline key mappings somehow?  Clearly it's bad practice
> to use, so I should get out of the habit, but I'd like to learn how to
> fix the problem too.

Adam,

are you on linux, windows or something else? If you are on windows then
this is probably a pyreadline issue and I would recommend making a bug
report on https://bugs.launchpad.net/pyreadline

If you are on Linux I'm afraid I can't help you.

/Jörgen