[IPython-user] Ipython autocompletion and enthought.mayavi

Angus McMorland amcmorl@gmail....
Thu May 28 13:24:46 CDT 2009

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is really an ipython problem or an enthought one,
but I'll start here. I keep running into a very frustrating 'feature'
of ipython's autocompletion when dealing with mv2 objects, whereby
ipython and my entire session becomes unresponsive when trying to
autocomplete certain objects. I run ipython in a terminal, where I
call scripts that invoke and return mlab.pipeline objects, like
surface (let's name it `surf`) so I can work out what all the
properties are called that I want to set in my script. I'm running all
the standard Ubuntu Jaunty versions of things: python 2.6, ipython
0.9.1, mayavi 3.1.0.

Typing, in ipython,

In [1]: surf.<tab>

works okay, and gives me the list of descendant objects of surf
(whatever they're really called), as does

In [1]: surf.actor.<tab>

but typing

In [1]: surf.actor.actor.<tab>

freezes the session. Any ideas what's going on? It would be great to
be able to peruse the objects this way, or at least fail nicely
without requiring a restart of my session. I haven't come across this
problem with autocompletion of any other objects.

Thanks,

Angus.
--
AJC McMorland