[IPython-user] Ipython autocompletion and enthought.mayavi

Thu May 28 13:43:33 CDT 2009

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 02:24:46PM -0400, Angus McMorland wrote:
> In [1]: surf.<tab>

> works okay, and gives me the list of descendant objects of surf
> (whatever they're really called), as does

> In [1]: surf.actor.<tab>

> but typing

> In [1]: surf.actor.actor.<tab>

> freezes the session. Any ideas what's going on? It would be great to
> be able to peruse the objects this way, or at least fail nicely
> without requiring a restart of my session. I haven't come across this
> problem with autocompletion of any other objects.

As far as I understand this problem (in other words, not much), the
problem is that there are properties involved in the object hierarchy.
Tab completing calls the getters. I suspect the getters are not being
called in the UI event loop, and as a result, some race condition kicks
in.

Of course all of this is speculative, but AFAIK the problems don't happen
if you run ipython in thread-less mode.

I hope this information helps the core ipython team narrowing down the
problem.

Gaël