[IPython-user] interaction between ipython and gvim for debuging

Gökhan Sever gokhansever@gmail....
Sun Nov 1 08:44:13 CST 2009

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 6:01 PM, TheLonelyStar <nabble2@lonely-star.org>wrote:

> Gökhan SEVER-2 wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 3:53 AM, TheLonelyStar
> > <nabble2@lonely-star.org>wrote:
> >

> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I am searching for a solution to debug python programs using gvim and
> >> ipython, and found nothing good so far.
> >>
> >> What would be cool:
> >> - open current file and line in gvim from ipython whenever an error
> >> occurs
> >> - setting breakpoints from gvim
> >>
> >> So can this be done:
> >> - If I have a ipython debug session started, can I somehow invoke a
> >> command
> >> from the outside (from gvim in this case) which enables and disables
> >> breakpoints in a certain file a t a certain position?
> >> - Can ipython be configured, that it opens the current file if a error
> >> occurs with the correct line?
> >>

> > Have you seen this thread?
> >

> http://advice.mechanicalkern.com/question/3/how-can-i-integrate-vim-with-ipython
> >

> Hi,
>
> well that is cool!
> This way I can send code from gvim to ipython, very nice.
>
> But how can tell ipython to tell gvim to go to the current line when an
> error occurs in pdb?
>
> Can I somehow tell ipython to execute some action on every pdb error and
> breakpoint?

Sorry, I am not very experienced in this matter. I tried once to integrate
IPython and GVIM, especially before the SciPy09 conference time. These two
are my main dev environment, they are just not connected. If I seriously
need to use a debugger, I use Eclipse+PyDev. Otherwise I just use
traditional way of debugging using simple print statements.

Paul Ivanov from UC Berkeley has more to say on this subject.

Good luck.

> Thanks!
> Nathan
> --