[IPython-user] readline update

Ludwig Schwardt ludwig.schwardt@gmail....
Thu Nov 19 08:35:47 CST 2009

Some good news about readline for a change...

I've finally updated the Python readline package on PyPI
(http://pypi.python.org/pypi/readline/) to version 2.6.1. The
highlights:

- An egg for the default system Python 2.6.1 on Snow Leopard (the fact
that I had a shiny new iMac on my desk inspired this update :-)).
- An egg for the default system Python 2.5.1 on Leopard.
- The source package finally builds automatically if you don't have
one of the above systems (thanks, Sridhar!). I've tested it with
Python 2.5 on Tiger, which works. It should also work on Linux systems
now (removed the Mac-specific flags in this case).
- Based on readline 6.0.
- Backported a bugfix from Python trunk which removes the "spurious
trailing space" bug mentioned in the bug reports below:

  * https://bugs.launchpad.net/python/+bug/470824
  * http://bugs.python.org/issue5833
  * http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/2469

The last point makes this package useful on Ubuntu Karmic too, which
shipped with libreadline 6.0 and Python versions without the bugfix.

Getting a working readline in IPython on the Mac should therefore be
as easy as "sudo easy_install readline". Please test and let me know
of any problems!

Ludwig