[IPython-user] compiling on windows

Armstrong, Chandler Matthew carmstr3@ad.uiuc....
Thu Oct 1 16:51:58 CDT 2009

Hello,

compiling ipython on windows has some catches.  installing from source this way doesn't create a .bat file, or put anything in the Start Menu.  The installation instructions encourage using 'setupegg.py' to resolve this.  'setupegg.py' invokes setuptools.

I'd like to avoid using setuptools if at all possible, and wondered if I could just use 'setup.py' on windows, and do the rest of the work myself.  Does anyone have instructions to do this?  Or, perhaps can provide a hint on how I might figure out what needs to be in this .bat file?

-Chandler