[IPython-user] ipython in emacs <tab> filename completion (again)

Arthur Woll aw30@cornell....
Thu Oct 8 12:41:51 CDT 2009

Greetings all,

I am [an ipython novice, and] using ipython inside emacs (on Mac OS
10.5, ipython 0.10, python 2.6). My setup is virtually identical to that
described here:

http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/ipython-user/2008-September/005791.html

but with python-mode 5.1.0  (ipython.el Revision 2297 )

My problem is identical to that described earlier in the same thread:

http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/ipython-user/2008-September/005777.html

but the solution isn't explicitly mentioned in that thread as far as I
can tell.

(For good measure, I also tested the settings listed here:
http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/ipython-user/2008-September/005781.html
with identical results.)

To reiterate the problem: Filename completion on tab does not appear to
work properly within Emacs. That is,

In [14]: cd Py<tab>

results in:

In [14]:    ....: cd Py

If, alternatively, I am running ipython inside tcsh or bash (*OR* within
an ansi-term inside emacs), the result is

In [14]: cd Python/

as desired.

Is there a known fix?

-Arthur

Here is my Preferences.el (I am using Aquamacs 1.9)

;; ************************************
;; BEGIN PYTHON - RELATED CUSTOMIZATION
;; ************************************
(require 'comint)
(define-key comint-mode-map [up]
  'comint-previous-matching-input-from-input)
(define-key comint-mode-map [down]
  'comint-next-matching-input-from-input)
(define-key comint-mode-map [(control down)]
   'comint-next-input)
(define-key comint-mode-map [(control up)]
   'comint-previous-input)

(setq comint-completion-autolist t    ;list possibilities on partial
                   ;completion
      comint-completion-recexact nil    ;use shortest compl. if
                   ;characters cannot be added
      ;; how many history items are stored in comint-buffers (e.g. py-
shell)
      ;; use the HISTSIZE environment variable that shells use (if  avail.)
      ;; (default is 32)
      comint-input-ring-size (string-to-number (or (getenv  "HISTSIZE")
"100")))

(add-to-list 'interpreter-mode-alist '("python" . python-mode))
(require 'ipython)

(setq py-python-command-args '("-i" "-pylab" "-colors" "LightBG"))
;; END PYTHON - RELATED CUSTOMIZATION