[IPython-user] pydb location(s)

Jon Olav Vik jonovik@gmail....
Thu Apr 8 02:02:43 CDT 2010

Angus McMorland <amcmorl <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I've just installed pydb 1.26 from source to use with ipython 0.10, under
> Ubuntu Karmic. Unfortunately, starting ipython with the -pydb option reports
> "Pydb (http://...) does not seem to be available". Where is it looking, and
> where should I have installed pydb? The pydb executable is in my system path,
> but perhaps there are python modules that need to be in certain places too,
> and these are not where they should be.

I guess the pydb package needs to be findable via your PYTHONPATH. Can you
"import pydb" without error after starting plain IPython?

$ ipython
Python 2.6.2 (r262:71600, Sep 29 2009, 13:22:12)
IPython 0.10 -- An enhanced Interactive Python.
In [1]: import pydb
In [2]: pydb?
String Form:    <module 'pydb' from '/home/jonvi/usr/lib/python2.6/site-
packages/pydb/__init__.pyc'>
File:           /home/jonvi/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/pydb/__init__.py

My PYTHONPATH includes my own (non-root) site-packages/. Then Python is able to
find any package in a subdirectory of site-packages that has an __init__.py in
it (no pun intended 8-).

Which version of Python are you using?

Hope this helps,
Jon Olav