[IPython-User] IPython and ipcluster on Windows 7

Brian Granger ellisonbg@gmail....
Fri Aug 13 15:26:55 CDT 2010

Josh,

Can you do the following:

start up regular IPython:

then do

ip = get_ipython()
print ip.ipython_dir

That will  show you where the ipython directory is.  We have not run
IPython 0.11 on Windows 7 yet, so maybe our ipython directory stuff is
broken.

I don't currently have a Windows 7 install, but we will need to do
that soon for our work with Enthought.

Brian

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 9:33 AM, Josh hemann <josh.hemann@roguewave.com> wrote:
> I have been using the parallel extensions functionality in the
> development version of IPython on Windows XP for a number of
> months now. Recently, I upgraded to 64-bit Windows 7 and installed
> 64-bit Python 2.7. I used the incredibly useful content at http://
> www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/ to get all of the 64-bit
> Windows packages for 2.7. With respect to IPython, I followed the
> instructions at
> http://ipython.scipy.org/doc/manual/html/install/install.html
> as before to use Ipython 0.11.
>
> When I run
>
>      ipluster create -p mycluster
>
> I get a console window that pops up and closes too quickly to see
> what the content is. In the past, this command would display
> informational messages from IPClusterApp, as seen at
> http://ipython.scipy.org/doc/manual/html/parallel/parallel_winhpc.html
>
> I was hoping to find a log file in my .ipython directory, which on
> XP was in something like
> C:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\.ipython,
> but now on Windows 7 I cannot find this directory.
>
> So, my first question is, does anyone know where the .ipython
> directory gets created on Windows 7? Also, if you happen to be using
> 64-bit Python 2.7 on Windows 7, and are using the parallel extensions
> in IPython, any setup hints you have would be appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Josh

Brian E. Granger, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Physics