[IPython-User] Browsing through file structure

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Thu Aug 19 19:00:31 CDT 2010

On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 2:35 PM, Patrick Grieshaber
<pgr@patrickgrieshaber.net> wrote:
> I use ip 0.10 on fedora linux.
> My problem: when browsing through the filesystem with cd and then
> pressing tab to see the content, then it inserts a single space instead
> of showing me the content of that directory.
> Example:
> [~]|1> cd /etc/[TAB]
> Display all 218 possibilities? (y or n)
> ArithmeticError              KeyboardInterrupt            TypeError
>               _prompt_title
>
> It does not matter if I use !cd, %cd, or ip -p sh.
>
> The behavior I expect is the behavior from bash:
> $ cd /etc/
> Display all 301 possibilities? (y or n)
> abrt/                         crypttab
>
> I hope someone knows what is wrong here.

Are you using python v 2.6..2.6.4?  If so, it's a bug in python
itself, which was only fixed in python 2.6.5.  Python inserts a
spurious space in tab completions, there's nothing we can do about it.
 Here's the ipython bug report with details:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ipython/+bug/470824

and here's the real report on Python:

http://bugs.python.org/issue5833