[IPython-User] Re-entrant?

Brian Granger ellisonbg@gmail....
Mon Aug 23 22:56:55 CDT 2010

On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 7:13 AM, Darren Govoni <darren@ontrenet.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>  I have two questions.
>
> 1) If I have a MultiEngineClient that I execute a function across the
> nodes and don't block (or do). Then I do it again before the first
> finished, will this cause any problems from a iPython point of view?

I am not quite sure what you are asking here.  But if the engines are
busy when you send additional work for them to do, it is not a
problem.  The controller maintains a work queue for each engine and
that work queue can receive additional work items while the engines
work.  Does that answer this part of your ?.

> 2) Can I create 2 MultiEngineClients over the same cluster of servers
> and make simultaneous calls? How is this handled on the server nodes?

It is first come, first server.  The queue for each engine that the
controller maintains is a standard FIFO queue.  If multiple clients
are submitting work to an engines queue, the commands are just
interleaved in the order they are received.  BUT, there is only a
single namespace on each engine, so if different clients overwrite
each others variables, that will really happen.

Cheers,

Brian

> Thanks
> Darren