[IPython-User] debugging engine code

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Wed Aug 25 16:50:07 CDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 8:26 AM, Darren Govoni <darren@ontrenet.com> wrote:

>  Setting pdb.set_trace() in my manual started engine doesn't seem to
> work. I suspect it needs stdout to the terminal, which isn't the case?
> For that matter, is there any way to tell the engine to log everything
> to stdout? I use 'supervisor' for running/restarting processes and it
> will roll logs from stdout autmatically.

Ouch, yes: stdout is captured by the output traps.

I'm not sure off the top of my head if there's an easy way to get
those traps to redirect to stdout as well.

I'm sorry not to have a better answer for you right now. We're
completely dug into the re-work, and we see how much better we can
make things for everybody.  But unfortunately it means for now we're
leaving users a bit in the cold.  I can only apologize for this, it's
just a matter of limited time and resources to both build the new code
and do a good job on helping users of the existing codebase.

> Also, the only exception I ever get in the shell is:
>
> CompositeError: one or more exceptions from call to method: execute
> [0:execute]: AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'exc'
>
> Which doesn't tell me much. But what you mentioned about the latest
> architecture you guys are working on sounds really great.

Yes, we're quite excited, and you can play with the code at any time
since all of this is done in the main git repo.  But I do feel bad for
somewhat abandoning the user support in this period, it's highly
non-ideal and I do apologize.

Regards,