[IPython-User] Any updates from GSOC?

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Wed Aug 25 18:27:23 CDT 2010

Hey Gökhan,

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 3:06 PM, Gökhan Sever <gokhansever@gmail.com> wrote:

> Now that GSOC is over, what new functionalities have been added in IPython?
> Is there any summary document? Is the code ready for public use? Should we
> expect a new release soon?
> Thanks.

Just to give a bit more context on top of Omar's answer: Omar and
Gerardo built their prototypes, which are very functional, each in his
own branch on github. One implements terminal-based zmq support, the
other Qt-based tools.

But it may take  a bit to completely merge their work, because
something bad/good happened along the way: we found support for Brian,
Evan and I to work intensely, for almost 2 months, on the
restructuring of the internals right underneath Omar and Gerardo.  So
for a while they've been chasing a  moving target: right after they'd
complete some features, we'd have already changed the internals and
they'd need to adapt.

In the long run this is very good: their stuff will be much less of a
hack and instead will be on top of a far cleaner infrastructure,
sharing code and abstractions with other frontends.

But in the short run it means that the integration has been, and will
remain for a few weeks, a little painful.

I hope the dust will settle soon and that both of them will have time
to push again on their work to complete the merge.