[IPython-User] Any updates from GSOC?

Gökhan Sever gokhansever@gmail....
Thu Aug 26 10:36:26 CDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 6:27 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hey Gökhan,
>
> On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 3:06 PM, Gökhan Sever <gokhansever@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Now that GSOC is over, what new functionalities have been added in
> IPython?
> > Is there any summary document? Is the code ready for public use? Should
> we
> > expect a new release soon?
> > Thanks.
>
> Just to give a bit more context on top of Omar's answer: Omar and
> Gerardo built their prototypes, which are very functional, each in his
> own branch on github. One implements terminal-based zmq support, the
> other Qt-based tools.
>
> But it may take  a bit to completely merge their work, because
> something bad/good happened along the way: we found support for Brian,
> Evan and I to work intensely, for almost 2 months, on the
> restructuring of the internals right underneath Omar and Gerardo.  So
> for a while they've been chasing a  moving target: right after they'd
> complete some features, we'd have already changed the internals and
> they'd need to adapt.
>
> In the long run this is very good: their stuff will be much less of a
> hack and instead will be on top of a far cleaner infrastructure,
> sharing code and abstractions with other frontends.
>
> But in the short run it means that the integration has been, and will
> remain for a few weeks, a little painful.
>
> I hope the dust will settle soon and that both of them will have time
> to push again on their work to complete the merge.
>
> Cheers,

Hello,

Nice to hear your exciting news. I have seen at some point there was long
discussions between Fernando, Evan, and Brian, but wasn't sure these for
merely tinkering purposes or actually supported work.

I don't remember seeing Omar or Gerardo's blogs aggregated in Python or
Scipy planets. It would be nice to see them shared there if the work is
still on going. Likewise I would love to see one of you doing a sneak-peak
type of blogging, and sharing your updates in more practical manner with the
public. At least for me, it sometimes get harder to see what are the new
functionalities and what are the actual benefits from following the
dev-mails. With a few screenshot and a few short sentences would be helpful
for many to adapt their work settings and see what's on the horizon easily.

Specifically, I would like to know if there is a working prototype for the
Qt frontend + IPython work around to work with?

Thanks again,

Please keep up good work.

--
Gökhan