[IPython-User] Any updates from GSOC?

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Thu Aug 26 15:35:05 CDT 2010

Hi Gokhan,

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 8:36 AM, Gökhan Sever <gokhansever@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nice to hear your exciting news. I have seen at some point there was long
> discussions between Fernando, Evan, and Brian, but wasn't sure these for
> merely tinkering purposes or actually supported work.
>
> I don't remember seeing Omar or Gerardo's blogs aggregated in Python or
> Scipy planets. It would be nice to see them shared there if the work is
> still on going. Likewise I would love to see one of you doing a sneak-peak
> type of blogging, and sharing your updates in more practical manner with the
> public. At least for me, it sometimes get harder to see what are the new
> functionalities and what are the actual benefits from following the
> dev-mails. With a few screenshot and a few short sentences would be helpful
> for many to adapt their work settings and see what's on the horizon easily.
> Specifically, I would like to know if there is a working prototype for the
> Qt frontend + IPython work around to work with?

Yes, I'm *terrible* at blogging and things of that sort that I think
of as 'marketing'.  In that regard Brian and I are fairly similar, and
I don't think either of us is very proud of that trait, we tend to do
better at just working quietly.

But the work is very much public, available and exciting. If you don't
mind the bleeding edge, you can try this:

git clone git://github.com/ipython/ipython.git
cd ipython/
git checkout -b newkernel origin/newkernel
python setup.py install --prefix=~/tmp/junk
cd IPython/frontend/qt/console/scripts/
./ipythonqt.py --pylab qt --paging vsplit

where I've assumed that ~/tmp/junk is a valid installation prefix,
adjust for your local setup.

That should give you a frontend that can plot, tab-complete with gui
support, syntax-highlight input, show calltips for functions, etc.  By
and large it should be getting close to the full functionality of the
'normal' ipython, though there's still plenty of rough edges for us to
polish.  But you asked for the new stuff :)