[IPython-User] How to configure: ipy_usr_conf.py or ipythonrc?

Brian Granger ellisonbg@gmail....
Tue Dec 7 15:00:00 CST 2010

Jeremy,

If you are using the 0.10 series, I would just use ipythonrc for most
things.  For more advanced things you would need to use ipy_usr_conf.py
though.  BUT, in 0.11 (which has not been released), the configuration
system has been completely rewritten and both of these files are deprecated.
 So, for the time being, sticking with ipythonrc is the simplest.

Cheers,

Brian

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 9:04 AM, Jeremy Conlin <jlconlin@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to configure iPython to my liking.  In looking through the
> provided configure scripts, I'm not sure which format to use.
> ipy_usr_conf.py is a regular python file and claims it is safer way to
> configure iPython.  However the ipythonrc file seems like the way
> iPython expects to be configured.
>
> Which way is the preferred (i.e., not deprecated) way to configure iPython?
>
> Thanks,
> Jeremy

Brian E. Granger, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Physics