[IPython-User] How to configure: ipy_usr_conf.py or ipythonrc?

Brian Granger ellisonbg@gmail....
Wed Dec 8 09:20:04 CST 2010

While our docs for 0.11 have fallen out of sync with the code, in the
configuration area, it is not as bad as I remember.  This section of the
nightly built docs is quite clear about ipythonrc and ipy_user_conf being
deprecated and clearly describes the new configuration system:

http://ipython.scipy.org/doc/nightly/html/config/overview.html#config-overview

Furthermore, the 0.10.1 docs do have an accurate description of the
configuration options that exist for 0.10.1:

http://ipython.scipy.org/doc/stable/html/config/customization.html

So far, the thing that makes ipython a tool i like, which is being able to
> use it as a system shell, to hone my casual python skills, to live,
> essentially in python, does not seem to be addressed in 0.11 in any extent.

Can you clarify what is missing for you in 0.11?

> The docs are actually not updated for 0.10.1 in fact.  I expressed my
> surprise in this thread because there are several ways to configure ipython
> for shell use, and there is no real indicator which one to use.

We definitely need more work on the documentation.  But, keep in mind, 0.11
is neither stable nor released

> Now I came via perl, and my day to day shell is zsh, so Tim Toady and I
> have a close working relationship, but I did not expect to find him here...

He is known to show up once in a while when the IPython devs get too busy
with their day jobs, but he is not welcome by design.

Cheers,

Brian

Brian E. Granger, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Physics