[IPython-User] Slides from my IPython Scipy India 2010 talk

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Tue Dec 14 11:49:18 CST 2010

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 5:29 PM, Francesc Alted <faltet@pytables.org> wrote:
> Yes, I suppose so :-)  Frankly, I never realised that an interactive
> console would have so many things in common with a parallel core, but
> apparently it does.
>
> At any rate, my impression continues to be that a split would benefit
> the community.  Those more interested in the interactive work would
> choose traditional IPython (+interfaces for toolkits like GTK or Qt),
> while others may want to take just the parallel code.

I think *for now*, when we are just finally bringing to reality this
integration, it makes complete sense to keep them together, so that
the whole set of apis can evolve in a coordinated fashion, adapting
the various pieces as needed without being bound by api boundaries;
it's too early for that.

In the future, once things have existed in this way for a while and
are more stable, we can obviously revisit the question and if it
naturally makes sense, we'll follow it :)

> Anyway, if such a split is really interesting then I suppose that it
> will eventually happen (in a similar way that the NumPy crew are working
> on splitting parts of the library that can be used by other apps).
>
> Thanks for the detailed explanation!

Thanks for the good questions :)

Best,