[IPython-User] HOWTO invoke a script in parallel

Stefan Seefeld seefeld@sympatico...
Wed Dec 15 16:21:09 CST 2010

On 12/15/2010 05:06 PM, Brian Granger wrote:
> Stefan,
>
> On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 8:13 AM, Stefan Seefeld<seefeld@sympatico.ca>  wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm trying to invoke a (Python) script ('fftm.py') from within an
>> IPython session, in parallel.
> Can you post this script.  You may be misunderstanding how px and
> autopx work?  If you can't post the script, can you describe more of
> what you are trying to do?

I can certainly post this script (see attached). The script loads a
bunch of C++ extension modules, creates some distributed objects, and
then invokes some functions on them.

The library I'm wrapping is Sourcery VSIPL++
(http://www.codesourcery.com/vsiplplusplus). It uses MPI underneath to
define distributed data structures and algorithms.

I expected that running that script in an autopx environment would be
conceptually similar to running an equivalent SV++ application via
mpirun. Is that wrong ?

(Note that at this point this is just a test, as I'm not gathering the
data at the end of the script, or do anything else with them. I'm merely
trying to see whether my SV++ Python bindings work as intended.)

(If I paste the content of that script into the px-enabled IPython
interpreter, everything appears to be running fine.)

Thanks for your help !

         Stefan