[IPython-User] HOWTO invoke a script in parallel

Stefan Seefeld stefan.seefeld@gmail....
Tue Dec 21 09:37:41 CST 2010

On 12/15/2010 05:21 PM, Stefan Seefeld wrote:
> On 12/15/2010 05:06 PM, Brian Granger wrote:
>> Stefan,
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 8:13 AM, Stefan
>> Seefeld<seefeld@sympatico.ca>  wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to invoke a (Python) script ('fftm.py') from within an
>>> IPython session, in parallel.
>> Can you post this script.  You may be misunderstanding how px and
>> autopx work?  If you can't post the script, can you describe more of
>> what you are trying to do?
>
> I can certainly post this script (see attached). The script loads a
> bunch of C++ extension modules, creates some distributed objects, and
> then invokes some functions on them.

Brian,

your reply may have got lost during the mail server downtime, so allow
me to follow-up:

I'm still trying to figure out how to run a script interactively in
parallel (akin to `mpirun -np N <binary>` on the command line). Is this
supported at all ? Is there some documentation explaining the semantics
of such an operation ?

I tried various things, but always got an error, such as

In [3]: px run script.py
Parallel execution on engines: all
ERROR: An unexpected error occurred while tokenizing input
The following traceback may be corrupted or invalid
The error message is: ('EOF in multi-line statement', (9, 0))

(And in fact I couldn't even read the colorized traceback, since more
than half of the text appears to be white-on-white.)

Note that pasting the content of the script, line-by-line, does work
correctly, even with autopx turned on.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
         Stefan