[IPython-User] Why is iPython using X11?

Brian Granger ellisonbg@gmail....
Mon Dec 27 11:50:23 CST 2010

David,

My guess is that this is an issue with macports.  Can you track down
how Macports is installing and configuring IPython?  It could be that
IPython is being starting using wpython so that it would work with
matplotlib.  That might bring up X11 even when matplotlib was not
imported.

Cheers,

Brian

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 8:08 AM, David Fokkema <dfokkema@ileos.nl> wrote:
> I have the same behavior. I simply upgraded ipython using
> macports from 0.10.0 to 0.10.1.
> Now, it starts X11 whenever I simply invoke `ipython'
> from the command line.
> No pylab needed at all.
> It adds considerably to startup time.
> If I activate 0.10.0 the old behavior is restored
> and X11 is not started.
>
> Regards,
>
> David

Brian E. Granger, Ph.D.