[IPython-User] Why is iPython using X11?

Paul Ivanov pivanov314@gmail....
Tue Dec 28 21:06:16 CST 2010

Fernando Perez, on 2010-11-17 23:00,  wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 7:18 PM, Piet van Oostrum <piet@vanoostrum.org> wrote:
> > There is another instance of the call to check_gtk which
> > isn't changed in the patch, and it should IMHO. It is in line
> > 1236 in Shell.py. It should also be
> >            if th_mode == 'gthread':
> >                th_mode = check_gtk(th_mode)
> >
> > (I would say the check for th_mode == 'gthread' could better
> > be done in check_gtk.)
> >
> > With this change I get rid of the X11 startup, unless I set
> > the backend to something GTK-related of course.
>
> OK, many thanks for the report, that's very useful.  Based on this I
> can add a cleaner fix that will hopefully put an end to the spurious
> X11 requirement (which is not only an annoyance in the Mac case, but
> can be a showstopper if you're trying to just open an ipython instance
> in a no-X environment like screen or a linux text console).

I propose getting rid of check_gtk() altogether - it's not clear
where it came from or what it's being used for. And getting rid
of it fixes the outstanding portion of issue 185 of plt.show()
blocking when using -gthread or -pylab.

More commentary in pull request 237.

https://github.com/ipython/ipython/issues/issue/237

--
Paul Ivanov
314 address only used for lists,  off-list direct email at: