[IPython-user] CLI for Tango: Qt-widget freezes during sleep

Wellenreuther, Gerd gerd.wellenreuther@desy...
Thu Feb 4 03:59:03 CST 2010

Dear IPython community,

We just started to write some Python-modules to create something like a
lean-but-mean user-interface on top of Tango/PyTango. One Qt4-widget is
capable of showing several motor positions, and is being updated every
200 msec. Well, at least if I call it in a separate python session.

But of course I wanted to have just one IPython instance with -q4thread
running, which should have all widgets / classes / data etc. at hand. If
I am now e.g. starting to move several motors I have to wait for them to
finish their moves, and for that purpose I am using time.sleep(). Unlike
when using different python processes, no updates take place in the
motor-widget running in the q4thread. :(

So it appears to me that with using time.sleep() I also put the q4thread
to sleep ... is this really the case, and does anyone know how to
solve/circumvent this problem?

Cheers, Gerd

P.S.: Anyone from ALBA or the ESRF reading this?
--
Dr. Gerd Wellenreuther
beamline scientist P06 "Hard X-Ray Micro/Nano-Probe"

Tel.: + 49 40 8998 5701