[IPython-user] CLI for Tango: Qt-widget freezes during sleep

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Thu Feb 4 14:52:31 CST 2010

Hi Gerd,

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 4:59 AM, Wellenreuther, Gerd
<gerd.wellenreuther@desy.de> wrote:
> Dear IPython community,
>
> We just started to write some Python-modules to create something like a
> lean-but-mean user-interface on top of Tango/PyTango. One Qt4-widget is
> capable of showing several motor positions, and is being updated every
> 200 msec. Well, at least if I call it in a separate python session.
>
> But of course I wanted to have just one IPython instance with -q4thread
> running, which should have all widgets / classes / data etc. at hand. If
> I am now e.g. starting to move several motors I have to wait for them to
> finish their moves, and for that purpose I am using time.sleep(). Unlike
> when using different python processes, no updates take place in the
> motor-widget running in the q4thread. :(
>
> So it appears to me that with using time.sleep() I also put the q4thread
> to sleep ... is this really the case, and does anyone know how to
> solve/circumvent this problem?

I'm afraid I don't really know for sure, Darren Dale might be able to pitch in.

But it's worth mentioning to you that in the upcoming 0.11, the gui
support has been completely overhauled.  We know there are still some
bugs in there, but it would be great if you and others using ipython
with gui tools can begin testing things out, from the bzr trunk
branch:

bzr branch lp:ipython

We will in the next week hopefully close some key tickets and then
will announce more widely testable installer (so you don't have to
pull from bzr), but if you're OK with a source/bleeding edge install,
by all means have a go at it and  let us know.