[IPython-user] CLI for Tango: Qt-widget freezes during sleep

Darren Dale dsdale24@gmail....
Fri Feb 5 09:57:18 CST 2010

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 4:59 AM, Wellenreuther, Gerd
<gerd.wellenreuther@desy.de> wrote:
> Dear IPython community,
>
> We just started to write some Python-modules to create something like a
> lean-but-mean user-interface on top of Tango/PyTango. One Qt4-widget is
> capable of showing several motor positions, and is being updated every
> 200 msec. Well, at least if I call it in a separate python session.
>
> But of course I wanted to have just one IPython instance with -q4thread
> running, which should have all widgets / classes / data etc. at hand. If
> I am now e.g. starting to move several motors I have to wait for them to
> finish their moves, and for that purpose I am using time.sleep(). Unlike
> when using different python processes, no updates take place in the
> motor-widget running in the q4thread. :(
>
> So it appears to me that with using time.sleep() I also put the q4thread
> to sleep ... is this really the case, and does anyone know how to
> solve/circumvent this problem?

I doubt that you are putting the q4thread to sleep. It's hard to
comment without additional information about the implementation. Are
you calling time.sleep() in the same thread that is taking care of
dispatching update events to your qt4 widget? Can you assemble a
*short*, *self-contained* example that reproduces the problem?

Darren