[IPython-user] How to use ipython's IPShellEmbed from within a running doctest

Philip Gatt gattster@gmail....
Wed Jan 6 01:25:42 CST 2010

Please help me get an embedded ipython console to run inside a doctest. The example code demonstrates the problem and will hang your terminal. On bash shell I type ctrl-Z and then kill %1 to break out and kill, since ctrl-C won't work.

def some_function():
    """
    >>> some_function()
    'someoutput'
    """
    # now try to drop into an ipython shell to help
    # with development
    import IPython.Shell; IPython.Shell.IPShellEmbed(argv=[])()
    return 'someoutput'

if __name__ == '__main__':
    import doctest
    print "Running doctest . . ."
    doctest.testmod()

I like to use ipython to help write code. A common trick is to use ipython as a breakpoint in my code by calling IPython.Shell.IPShellEmbed. This trick works everywhere I've tried (inside a django manage.py runserver, unit tests), but it doesn't work within doctests. I think it has to do with doctest controlling stdin/stdout.

Thanks in advance for your help.
- Philip