[IPython-user] Log options at ipython startup

Gökhan Sever gokhansever@gmail....
Tue Jan 12 16:37:47 CST 2010

Here is what I have in my ipy_user_conf.py file:

def main():

    try:
        ldir = '/home/user/.ipython/'
        filename = os.path.join(ldir, strftime('%Y-%m-%d')+".py")
        notnew = os.path.exists(filename)
        ip.IP.logger.logstart(logfname=filename, logmode='append')
        if notnew:
            ip.IP.logger.log_write("# =================================")
        else:
            ip.IP.logger.log_write("""#!/usr/bin/env python \n# %s.py \n#
IPython automatic logging file""" % strftime('%Y-%m-%d'))
        ip.IP.logger.log_write("""# %s \n#
=================================""" % strftime('%H:%M'))
        print " Logging to "+filename

    except RuntimeError:
        print " Already logging to "+ip.IP.logger.logfname

I learnt this trick from Pierre Raybaut of PythonXY. There is a log file per
day and time-stamping per session. I am sure it could easily modified to log
everything in a file and with a time stamp if this is what you need.

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 9:12 AM, gaubi <erwin.gaubitzer@univie.ac.at> wrote:

> In order to retrace my work I want to always have timestamping on.
> Is this possible using a commandline parameter or in a configuration file?
>
> Thanks
> Erwin
> --

Gökhan