[IPython-user] What do we do about repository formats???

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Mon Jan 18 01:51:34 CST 2010

Hi folks,

I needed to test how things would go with a temporary merge of trunk,
my trunk-dev and Dav's branch:

https://code.launchpad.net/~ipython-contrib/ipython/traitlets-rename

which is essentially everything we have in flight right now, but it
seems we have a problem.  Dav started with a more updated bzr on his
system, so his branch uses a new repo format, and I can't simply keep
it in the same shared repo as the others, merge, etc:

maqroll[repo]> bzr branch lp:~ipython-contrib/ipython/traitlets-rename
bzr: ERROR: KnitPackRepository('file:///home/fperez/ipython/repo/.bzr/repository/')
is not compatible with
RemoteRepository(bzr+ssh://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ipython-contrib/ipython/traitlets-rename/.bzr/)
different rich-root support

There are tons of reports about this, here's one example:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/450147

I tried running upgrade on my local repo, and now I can pull Dav's
branch, but I can't push anymore:

maqroll[0.11-tmp]> bzr push --remember lp:~fdo.perez/ipython/0.11-tmp
Using default stacking branch /~ipython-dev/ipython/trunk at
lp-64843152:///~fdo.perez/ipython
bzr: ERROR: KnitPackRepository('lp-64843152:///~ipython-dev/ipython/trunk/.bzr/repository')
is not compatible with
CHKInventoryRepository('lp-64843152:///~fdo.perez/ipython/0.11-tmp/.bzr/repository')
different rich-root support

Now I could issue lp commands and upgrade the repos in lp itself, but
that's going to cascade to everyone else, so I don't want to do that
without further feedback.

It's nuts that bzr would make a change like this with such a nasty
cascading effect...

Ideas from the experts? (I know, I want to switch to git too so we can
get off the mess that is bzr and its never ending stream of weird
problems, but that's probably too disruptive for now, so let's stick
to solutions that use bzr...)

Thanks,

ps - it's not Dav's fault; anyone new contributor starting fresh would
end up in this situation.