[IPython-user] Any future integration with pydbgr planned?

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Mon Jan 25 17:47:31 CST 2010

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 1:59 PM, Reckoner <reckoner@gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems like
>
> http://code.google.com/p/pydbgr/
>
> is in the process of a massive rewrite. Are there plans to support
> this in IPython going forward?

It would be great, but since the code is GPL, while IPython is BSD,
I'm afraid we won't be able to (nor will any other Python-based tool
that uses the Python license, which is BSD-like).  That is, we can't

import pydbgr

without the GPL kicking in for *all* of IPython, as best as I
understand things. Having one line of code GPL all 50.000 lines of
IPython is a bit more leverage than I'm willing to accept :)

Since we'd only use it as a library, it would be OK for us if it were
LGPL (we'd be happy to contribute back any improvements).  But having
all of IPython become GPL just because we import one optional
component is not something we can do.

I'd be happy to be corrected though.