[IPython-user] Any future integration with pydbgr planned?

Flavio Coelho fccoelho@gmail....
Tue Jan 26 00:44:39 CST 2010

quote from http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk/resources/gpl.xml#body.1_div.4

It is also commonly believed that GPL v2-licensed software cannot be bundled
with non-GPL v2 software in a collection of software, or that if it is, then
all the software must be relicensed under the GPL v2. Again, this is false.
Section 2 of the GPL v2 states that such *mere aggregations* are not
governed as a whole by the conditions of the licence.

I haven't checed but I am pretty sure that python must link to some GPL C
library...

more from the GPL FAQ:

*If a program combines public-domain code with GPL-covered code, can I take
the public-domain part and use it as public domain code?*

You can do that, if you can figure out which part is the public domain part
and separate it from the rest. If code was put in the public domain by its
developer, it is in the public domain no matter where it has been.
BTW gnu readline, which I think ipython uses, is GPL software.another link:

http://www.softwarefreedom.org/resources/2007/gpl-non-gpl-collaboration.html

I hope this links, although not sufficient to educate a decision on how to
mix licenses, may help to steer this discussion in the right direction.

Anyone else has further experience with BSD code linking GPL code?

Flávio

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 11:47 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 1:59 PM, Reckoner <reckoner@gmail.com> wrote:
> > It seems like
> >
> > http://code.google.com/p/pydbgr/
> >
> > is in the process of a massive rewrite. Are there plans to support
> > this in IPython going forward?
>
> It would be great, but since the code is GPL, while IPython is BSD,
> I'm afraid we won't be able to (nor will any other Python-based tool
> that uses the Python license, which is BSD-like).  That is, we can't
>
> import pydbgr
>
> without the GPL kicking in for *all* of IPython, as best as I
> understand things. Having one line of code GPL all 50.000 lines of
> IPython is a bit more leverage than I'm willing to accept :)
>
> Since we'd only use it as a library, it would be OK for us if it were
> LGPL (we'd be happy to contribute back any improvements).  But having
> all of IPython become GPL just because we import one optional
> component is not something we can do.
>
> I'd be happy to be corrected though.
>
> Cheers,

Flávio Codeço Coelho