[IPython-user] Any future integration with pydbgr planned?

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Tue Jan 26 01:38:00 CST 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 10:44 PM, Flavio Coelho <fccoelho@gmail.com> wrote:
> another link:
>
> http://www.softwarefreedom.org/resources/2007/gpl-non-gpl-collaboration.html
>
> I hope this links, although not sufficient to educate a decision on how to
> mix licenses, may help to steer this discussion in the right direction.

This goes in the other direction, which isn't relevant for this
discussion.  The key point is well summarized by this wikipedia
section:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_General_Public_License#Linking_and_derived_works

It all amounts to whether dynamic linking (of which python runtime
import is an extreme form) triggers the 'derived work' provisions of
the GPL and hence its copyleft effects.   As you can see, this is a
highly contentious point, and one on which lawyers have weighed but
without a definitive resolution in court.

The last thing we want to do is to drag ipython into such a quagmire;
fundamentally I think the best approach is to contact code authors of
GPL code we may want to use in IPython.  If they feel that using

import foo

from their code truly demands that the code doing so becomes GPL, then
we are not going to go over their position on their own code
(regardless of how much case law may or may not exist on the matter).
But if they ultimately only want to ensure that their code isn't
modified without changes being contributed back, they may be willing
to consider an LGPL or BSD license, both of which make it trivial then
to use their tool in ipython (since the *L*GPL has no copyleft
provisions).